Buttermilk Pancakes with Dark Belgian Chocolate Sauce
21 Feb 2022
It's Pancake Tuesday! What Pancake Day would be complete without the perfect chocolate sauce? This recipe is made with our rich and irresistibly smooth 70% Dark Belgian Chocolate, guaranteed to take your pancakes up a notch!
For the chocolate sauce
- 200g Lily O’Brien’s 70% dark Belgian Chocolate (just under 2 bags), roughly chopped
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- 40g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
For the pancakes
- 150g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 280ml buttermilk
- Knob of butter for frying
Make the chocolate sauce
- Place the chocolate, milk, butter and cream in a small saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring often until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and add the golden syrup, whisking until shiny. Cover to keep warm until needed.
Make the pancakes
- In a large bowl, place the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar and a large pinch of salt, and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre of the mixuture, then add the egg yolks and stir. Slowly pour in the buttermilk, stirring constantly, to combine everything together to form a smooth, thick batter.
- In a separate large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer until forming soft folding peaks. Using a metal spoon gently fold a tablespoon of the whites into the pancake batter continuing to add the rest in two separate spoonfuls.
- Heat a large frying pan and lightly grease with butter. Drop a small ladle of batter into the hot pan and smooth out so it's around 10cm wide and 1cm thick. Cook over a low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes until it's turned nice and golden underneath. Flip and repeat on the other side until fluffy and cooked through. You can make more in your pan if you have a pan large enough that the pancakes won't touch while cooking.
- Keep your cooked pancakes warm on a heat proof plate or dish in a low oven while you make the remaining pancakes.
- To serve, layer up pancakes, top with your favourite fruits then pour over some of the chocolate sauce.