Treat fairy cakes to a super delicious chocolatey topping using Lily O'Brien's Creamy Caramel and Sea Salt Chocolate – it’s the best chocolatey buttercream we’ve tasted yet! A simple alternative to a birthday cake or treat yourself to one, just because!
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
For the icing
- 70g Lily O’Brien’s Creamy Caramel and Sea Salt Chocolate (you will need 2 share bags in total so you can use the remaining chocolates to decorate your cakes)
- 100g grams unsalted butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4. Line a 12 hole tin with 12 paper cases.
- Place the sugar and butter into a medium sized bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder in another bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the vanilla extract to the butter mixture then beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little flour mixture with each. Gently fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- Divide between the paper cases with a teaspoon and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling make the icing. Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave in 30 second bursts, until just melted, then stir and set to one side.
- Beat the butter in a bowl until soft, then gradually mix in the icing sugar. Add the vanilla extract and mix again until smooth.
- Fold in the melted chocolate until completely combined.
- Use a piping bag to pipe your icing on top of your cooled cakes (or simply spoon and smooth the icing on top) then decorate with a Lily O’Brien’s chocolate disc.
For more easy baking recipes using Lily O'Brien's Chocolate visit our Chocolate Blog