The perfect summer treat is our Chocolate and Lemon Drizzle Loaf. This sweet sticky moist lemon loaf works perfectly with the chocolate drizzles that snap as you cut into it. This is an ideal treat with coffee or if you are feeling extra indulgent, pop a good dollop of mascarpone over a slice and enjoy after dinner.
For the loaf:
- 225g unsalted butter (softened)
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- Tsp of baking powder
- 2 lemon zest (finely grated)
- 2 juiced lemons
- Splash of lemon flavouring/essence
- Splash of Vanilla essence
For the drizzle topping whilst warm out the oven:
- 3 lemons juice
- 180g caster sugar
- 100g Lily O’Brien’s Milk Chocolate Drops (melted)
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4.
- Pop a greaseproof loaf paper into the tin, so it’s easy to lift out whilst warm
- To make the loaf, cream together with a wooden spoon, the softened unsalted butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Put 4 eggs in a separate glass grease free bowl and whisk until foaming with lots of air
- Now add gradually to the creamed butter and sugar whisking as you go until combined
- Now add the vanilla and lemon flavouring and whisk again
- Sift in the self-raising flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and fold in slowly (so you don’t get a flour cloud)
- Finally add the lemon juice and whisk until fully combined and batter like.
- Then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Ovens vary so the last few minutes, keep checking and ensure it’s cooked in the middle. Don’t open the oven door till 45 mins however, so the cake doesn’t sink!
- While the cake is still warm, mix together the juice of 3 lemons and the caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Whilst still in the tin, prick the warm cake all over with a skewer, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink into the wholes and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping in places as the cake cools.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove (lift) carefully with the greaseproof and carefully put onto a plate.
- Now melt the chocolate drops in glass bowl in the microwave, be careful not to burn. Then drizzle all over the cake with a spoon.
TIP: This beauty will freeze too, but do before you add the chocolate!