Crispy Butterscotch Chocolate Popcorn Bars
29 Jan 2021
Combining our delicious Crispy Butterscotch Chocolate and creamy caramel with your regular popcorn is an absolute winning combination – it's time to indulge in a satisfyingly chewy, sweet and deliciously chocolatey treat.
- 225g brown sugar
- 85g honey
- 115g butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp slightly heaped baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 300g plain popped popcorn
- 220g Lily O’Brien’s Crispy Butterscotch Share Bag (2 bags)
- 300g Lily O’Brien’s Dark Chocolate Buttons
- Divide popcorn between two bowls. Line a large baking tray and a square tray bake tin with baking parchment. Preheat oven to 120ºC /100ºC fan.
- Add the butter, sugar and honey to a heavy based pan over a medium heat. Working quickly, stir the ingredients until melted then once combined, turn up the heat and boil vigorously for 2 minutes or until the caramel turns golden. Do not stir when boiling.
- Remove the caramel from heat and immediately add salt, vanilla and the soda and stir quickly until smooth. BE CAREFUL!! The mixture will bubble and rise when you add in these ingredients!
- Working quickly, add half the caramel into one of the bowls the popcorn and stir to combine.
- Add the remaining bowl of popcorn into your working bowl then pour over the remaining caramel. Stir all of the popcorn and caramel to combine. Transfer the popcorn to your large lined baking tray and spread out evenly with a spoon.
- Place in the oven and bake for 60 minutes. Remove the tray every 15 minutes and stir the popcorn, coating the pieces without caramel as you stir.
- Remove from the oven and leave the caramel popcorn to cool on the tray. Whilst cooling the caramel will harden and stick the popcorn together so break up into individual pieces frequently as they cool.
- WARNING! Don't eat hot caramel popcorn, please wait until it’s cooled!
- Melt the Crispy Butterscotch chocolate and the dark chocolate together in a microwave until just before melted, then stir until completely until smooth.
- Pour a 1/3 of the chocolate into the smaller lined baking tray and paint an even thin layer on the base using a pastry brush.
- Scatter the caramel popcorn evenly across the top of the chocolate in the tray. Break large pieces if necessary and ensure popcorn is as separate and even as possible. Gently press the popcorn into the chocolate. You will have some popcorn left over, which you can use to decorate and nibble on later.
- Pour the remaining chocolate over the popcorn, making sure to coat all the popcorn as evenly as possible. Refrigerate for an hour to allow to set.
- Remove from the fridge and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into bars and decorate with the remaining caramel popcorn pieces.